Who doesn’t like a white smile? The same type is found on popular Hollywood celebrities. This straight and white smile is gaining wide acceptance, and there is no sign of slowing down. The white smile started with people trying to mimic the results of celebrity cosmetics. The price of getting the white smile served as a barrier, but a lot has changed in recent times and getting the white smile is almost as affordable and accessible as getting water off a tap.
This positive news wasn’t a trend just a few years ago. Teeth are not naturally meant to be completely white, many Canadians want a brighter smile and this has led to the availability of a wide range of products.
According to the Canadian Dental Association (CDA), dentists have long performed “non-vital” bleaching for many years, which is a procedure to lighten a darkened, damaged non-living tooth, on which a root canal has been performed.
In current years, “vital” bleaching to improve the appearance of healthy teeth has become increasingly popular, and a survey as far back as 2011 by dentists indicated that 57 percent of dentists expected the numbers of patients seeking whitening to increase. The main reason for this growth is the increased availability of quality whitening systems of varying strength and cost, which makes whitening more affordable for patients.
According to Health Canada, tooth whitening is a cosmetic procedure and not a controlled act, and there is no restriction on the sale of tooth whitening agents. While tooth whitening falls within the scope of practice of dentistry and is performed in dental offices, tooth whitening is also considered to be in the public domain.
Young people are influenced more than the middle or older age groups by media, and as a consequence, their aesthetic awareness is increased, influencing their satisfaction.
Hence, it is appropriate to say more and more people are giving more attention to their white smiles and always searching for ways to improve them. Amidst all the process and maintenance required to keep the white smile, it is important to keep the white smile healthy.
White Smile Backed by New research
How true is the Canadian Dental Association and Health Canada? A research carried out by Orchard Scotts Dental proves that :
- Canada ranks above the United States in this area of its healthcare provisions. There are also studies and reports that showcase its population’s teeth as some of the whitest and straightest in the world.
- Globally, the teeth whitening market is expected to grow by a compound annual growth rate of over 4% (Arizton, 2019)
- About 9% have had it in the last year alone.
- In the past year, most Canadians have seen a dental professional (74.7%), however, 22.4% avoided going at least once because of the cost.
Striking a Balance between a healthy smile and a white smile
How healthy is a white smile? Does having a white smile mean the gums and teeth are healthy?
A white smile can indeed be directly linked to increased self-esteem but if done wrong, it can lead to medical conditions such as heart disease, strokes, diabetes and even dementia.
Having a white smile is great, but it should be done with the right expert – a dentist not by using DIY methods.
Keeping the mouth healthy
The big question now is, how do you get and maintain a healthy white smile? Simple – have a good oral routine and visit the dentist regularly.
Below are some steps to achieve good oral hygiene:
- Brush at least twice a day for a minimum of two minutes with fluoride toothpaste. The best practice is that it should be the last thing at night and any other time of the day
- Use interdental brush or floss to clean the teeth daily
- Daily use of mouthwash
- Stick to sugar-free gums and chew them in between meals
- Reduce the quantity of sugar you consume. Also, reduce the consistency of consuming sugar.
- Regular visits to the dentist.
Having a white smile is just as important as having a healthy smile. The steps to achieving the white healthy smile are pretty simple to follow. Improve your self-esteem by improving your smile and the health of your gums. See our current promotion: Professional Teeth Whitening With Home Whitening Kit Only $350!